Many parents want trained MOE teachers to tutor their children. Yet, we have heard of the following remarks about many MOE teachers:
- JC students complaining that they cannot understand what their teachers are teaching in school. I often have to start teaching students from scratch, covering the 1 week lesson taught in school in 2 hours.
- Their tutor who is a school teacher cannot answer their questions
- School teacher as tutor arrived with no preparation and yet they charge $100 per hour or more.
- School teacher as tutor have no time to answer student’s queries after tuition. They are unable to cater extra lessons during exam period.
Since MOE teachers do not necessarily make good tutors, how should parents or students choose a good tutor?
A good h2 math tutor needs to have these characteristics
- Excellent subject knowledge. The tutor must have achieved distinction at a higher level than h2 math, such as A level Further Math and/or possess 1st class honors in Engineering or Mathematics degree. 90% of the time, when the student asks the tutor a h2 maths question, the tutor must be able to start explaining within 1 minute.
- Full-time tutors teaching h2 maths for at least 3 years or each topic at least 10 times. They are very familiar with the syllabus as they teach the same subject and topic multiple times to different students.
- Effective teaching. A good tutor must be able to explain concepts and convey ideas simply and clearly. Have track record of helping students improve
Recommended reading: What really makes a good teacher?